Why should I bother staging my home? What do I get back for all of the time and efforts I put into it? This is one of the most common home-staging questions among sellers, especially those who are selling in a seller’s market.
Here’s the bottom line: regardless of what type of real estate market you are in, staging your home can benefit you.
In a buyer’s market, you will need every advantage you can get in order to sell your home for a decent sale price, so it’s extra important to stage your home effectively. But even in a seller’s market, staging can help you achieve a quick sale for the maximum price.
So no matter what kind of real estate market you are in, it’s always wise to stage your home for buyers.
Here are some of the primary benefits you will get out of it:
Home Staging Benefits
1. Staging forces you to organize and de-clutter. Clearing away shelves, closets and cabinets is a big part of the home staging process. It also helps with moving, because you’ll have to pack things away at some point anyway. So when you stage your home, you will also get a head start on packing to move.
2. Staging forces you to think like a buyer. When you set out to stage your home for the market, you will be looking at the home as if you were a buyer (and not the actual owner). Adopting this perspective early on will help you in many ways when preparing your home for the market.
3. Staging increases the likelihood of a sale. When selling your home, you must do everything within your power to increase the chance of a sale — and I mean everything. Professional home staging techniques can give you an extra edge in selling the home quickly.
4. Staging reduces the home’s time on the market. When you put in the extra effort to stage your home effectively, you will move closer to a quick sale. Anyone who has sold a home before can attest to the fact that the least time the home is on the market, the better. This is especially important if you will be paying two mortgages until the house sells (as is the case when you buy a new home before selling the old one).
5. Staging helps justify the asking price. If you are in a seller’s market and you price your home correctly, you probably won’t have to haggle over the asking price. But in a market that leans toward the buyer, you need everything in your favor to get top dollar. Proper home staging can help you justify the asking price by positioning the home more favorably in the buyer’s mind.
6. Staging can be fun! It may sound like all work and no play at first. Granted, you will certainly be putting some elbow grease into the process. But staging a home can be a creative process as well, and many people find they enjoy it once they’ve begun.